12/05/2007

Props To My Parents

I would be very ungrateful if I didn't give props to my parents. They did the best they could with what knowledge they had. When you know better you do better. They weren't perfect,and made plenty of mistakes as we all will, but for me, they created an atmosphere where I can talk to them about any and everything. I'm not sure if my siblings feel the same way, but that's how I roll.

My parents were old school. They expected us to do what we were told when we were told to do it. They didn't waste their time asking us to do something 3 &4 times nor did they count to 5 or 10 after asking 3 or 4 times. They were consistant with their discipline and their threats were NOT idle. I think what I admire most about them was that they knew us. You would never hear them say "not my child...." if indeed it sounded like something we could have possibly done. I think my biggest pet peeve are parents who tolerate disrespect and are disrespected by their kids, but blow a gasket when someone informs them they're kids was disrespectful. My mother would often say "I've seen badley you can act when I am around. I don't doubt that you aren't that way when I'm not around." Thos were powerful words to me.

I'm gateful for the way my parents taught us. Some of their methods were extreme however it's an extreme world we're living in and some cases need extreme measures. I appreciate them encouraging our independance. Each of us were taugh and maintain a household before we left home. They did not coddle us or baby us into dependance on another person for survival. I appreciate that if I did something wrong at the neigbors house, or out in the streets that they would call me on it, and then the famous phrase..
"I'ma call yo mama and daddy and let them know too. They don't work hard all the time for you to be disrespecting their name with your actions" or " isn't Pearl your Grandmother? Now you know she didn't teach you to act like that! What would she do if she was you acting this way?" That's the one that would hurt. My grandparents were so well known in the community that you didn't want ANYTHING getting back to them. Not from fear, but from disappointment and disrespect to the family name.
yeah, that's how it rolled growing round my corner.

That's how I've tried to raise my daughter.. .old school. No lippy back talk. She knows where the line between Mama and friend is and when to cross it or stay away from it.
My Parents divorced when I was about 12 or 13. They didn't follow the typical pattern of most people in the church I've seen get divorced. One parent or the other goes inactive. Neither of my parents did. In fact they became greater members. We met in the same building, just different wards. I still have a hard time with why people go inactive when they get divorced, its not like it's the Lord's fault. I do believe that them staying strong in the church by being active members, taking us and being their with us instead of dropping us off and struggling through those difficult times that were ackward has taught me to do the same. there were times of struggle, but I'm so grateful they got through it. I draw back on those times when I want to give up or when things aren't going right.

I'm not perfect. I'm not some great successful famous woman well known to the world. I'm just me, a mama with a child trying to "get it done." If I've taught my daughter to live successfully and happily and reach all her goals without my constant supervision, I have been successful as a mother.

Thanks Mom & Dad, you did a good job!

No comments: